Thursday, May 5, 2011

Day of Firsts

Wednesday was a big day for Ariana.  Unfortunately I somehow lost all the pictures I took :(

We had her first doctor's appointment.  We really like our new pediatrician and everything went smoothly until the blood-draw professional (phlebot-something I believe) showed up.  NINE vials of blood!  Mommy wanted to scream with Ariana.  I know it didn't hurt her, but the way she looked at us for help about broke my heart.

They are going to check the titers on the immunizations they are able to so we'll know for sure she has been immunized.  We'll assume if she has the antibodies they can test for then all her records are correct.  I personally feel they are, but the doctor says they are often inaccurate so we'll go on his advice.  They are also going to check for the Giardia parasite.

Overall she is quite healthy except for some mild delays which we expected.  Her muscle tone is only fair but I'm sure that will improve especially given the way she's been motoring around the house.

I haven't mentioned it on the blog but Ariana is really, really struggling with sleep.  Since April 15th, most nights she has only slept 1-2 hours without waking.  She is usually only up for about 10-15 minutes now, but at least once a night she is up for almost an hour.  Getting her to sleep is challenging and it's often 10p.m. or later before we can get her down and she's usually up very early.  I don't know how nursing mothers can handle this type of schedule because I am exhausted to say the least.  The doctor didn't really have any insight on this except that it almost certainly is her adjusting to her new everything.

Last week she was very miserable as she has 3 new teeth coming in.  I think we are over the worst of that for now and the drooling and snotty nose seems to have stopped.  It makes me so sad to think about her getting the six teeth she already had with no one to comfort her although I am confident the nannies did the best they could.

I'll leave you with a few more pictures from China:












I wanted to end with an adorable picture of someone holding her bottle for the first time yesterday!!   So cute, but you'll just have to imagine it I guess.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you are still having sleep issues....hope this gets better soon, I know you are exhausted. Mia is sleeping but I am exhausted just from her hanging on me all day long. We are cutting 2 molars, I am trying oragel, seems to take the edge off.
    Thanks for the comments on our blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the picture loss-I'm sure the bottle holding is cute. The teething might be affecting the sleeping, but other than that I don't have much advice. She's probably used to sleeping in the dark with no light at all and with the sound of other people breathing. So maybe you could make an audiotape of people breathing or get one of those sound machines and play a breeze or a tide to reassure her, and make sure that she is on a hard mattress in the dark. My son still talks about our "squishy" beds after 2-1/2 years of living with us.

    Happy Mother's Day,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you made it back nice. I hope Ariana is aktting good back here. I heard that she was not sleeping good here. So hopes and dreams when shes older. By the way happy mother's day.

    ReplyDelete